Carbon Dioxide Detector

carbon dioxide detector

A carbon dioxide detector is a safety device that sounds an alarm when it senses dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. It’s important to have one in your home because carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas that can poison you and cause death. Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel-burning appliances like furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, and portable generators burn without proper ventilation. It can also be released from kerosene heaters, car exhaust, and tobacco smoke. Every year, tens of thousands of people go to the hospital and die from accidental CO poisoning. Find out

A CO sensor has two electrodes, a connection wire, and an electrolyte such as sulfuric acid. When carbon monoxide comes in contact with the sensor, it oxidizes to carbon dioxide and releases an electric current that causes the alarm to sound. Some models feature a light that lets you know the unit is working properly and when its battery needs to be replaced. Others have a digital display that shows a readout of CO concentration in parts per million.

Stay Safe and Alert: The Role of Carbon Dioxide Detectors in Indoor Air Quality Monitoring

The technology used to detect carbon monoxide in household detectors evolved from sensors designed for industrial use. Earlier industrial systems required a dual-chamber detector that oxidized carbon monoxide and compared its heat to a reference chamber. This system was too complex and expensive for residential use, but advances in electronic sensors made a carbon monoxide detector possible for homes. Some state, provincial, and municipal governments require carbon monoxide detectors in new buildings. Look for detectors that bear the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) label to ensure they meet quality standards.